Friday 22 October 2010

REVIEW: Private by Kate Brian

Private is about a girl called Reed Brennan who gains a scholarship to the privileged boarding school Easton Academy, where she meets a group of girls called the 'Billings Girls'. It's the first book in the popular 'Private' series.

When I first read the synopsis of this book, it strangely reminded me of the Gossip Girl books (i <3 gossip girl!), as it is based around similar characters. So I was hoping it would be as good. And I was not dissapointed!

Firstly, I liked the narrative style the writer used as it was in first person and I really did get a good insight into the character's mind and thoughts. It was also quite engaging from the beginning and I immediately got interested in the story.

The Billings Girls seemed like such strong, individuals and they each had different personalities and traits even though they weren't described that much. There was Taylor - the smart one, Noelle - seen as the 'leader' of the Billings Girls, Ariana - the modest one. And regards to the main character, Reed, my first impression was that she kind of follows others and she wasn't really going to Easton for a particular reason but as you learn more about her family background, you understand her more and I could actually relate to her in a kind of way.

The 'Billings' Girls also reminded me of 'Mean' girls but not as mean (lol)

Anyway, it was a great start to a series and it was definitely one of those books that left me wanting more! The next book is called 'Invitation Only'.



Old cover
Plot: 4/5
Characters: 5/5
Ending: 4/5
Writing: 5/5
Cover(there's 2 covers, this is the rating for the one I read (as pictured <--)): 3/5


Overall: 5/5

3 comments:

Vee said...

Thanks for the review! I like books like this as a kind of guilty pleasure -- they're just so escapist and fun. It's good that the style gives insight into the character as well, sounds really great :D

Rebecca Cofie said...

@Vee - No problem :) ! Yes, it is that kind of 'guilty pleasure' book, it's good if you want to read some good writing and something that can really engross you.

Miss Page-Turner said...

Hey Congratulations! You received the "One Lovely Blog Award":) You deserve it! Here is how it works: http://misspageturnerscityofbooks.blogspot.com/2010/10/one-lovely-blog-awardspassing-it-on.html

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Background by Ava7Patterns