Monday 6 September 2010

REVIEW: City of Glass by Cassandra Clare

City of Glass, is the third work of fiction in the Mortal Instruments trilogy written by Cassandra Clare. Instead of being set in New York, the book is mainly based in Alicante in Idris,  the main city where Shadowhunters originated. It focuses around the main characters, Jace and Clary, and their relationship and fight against the enemy, Valentine.

This was my second time reading the book, and I actually enjoyed the book alot more second time round. I found it an enjoyable read and couldn't put the book down. I felt I understood the characters well, because of the way Clare described them and their struggles and emotions throughout the book. I particularly noticed this with Alec and him being the 'black sheep' of the family as he is gay. Also, with Jace, behind the sarcastic remarks and irony, I saw a young boy who had fallen in love.

However, as for the writing style of the book, I didn't think it was that good. Although I didn't mind it in 3rd Person, I felt that Clare's writing wasn't advanced or original enough. Furthermore, I thought a certain person's death in the book was unecessary, although, this was to be expected as usually a character dies in these kind of trilogies.

Lastly, I was pleased with the ending and thought it was a good ending for a good series. On the other hand, my only doubt was that I thought it was a bit predictable.

Overall, I throughly enjoyed the book and I thought it was the best book so far in the series. I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the Mortal Instruments sequel, City of Fallen Angels, which is to be released in 2011. In addition, the Clockwork Angel, the spin-off, which was released recently.

Plot: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Ending: 4/5
Writing: 3/5
Cover: 3/5


Overall: 5/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Background by Ava7Patterns