Wednesday 1 September 2010

REVIEW: The Hunger Games:Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins (contains spoilers)

Release Date: 25 August 2009
Publisher: Scholastic
Pages: 448
Buy the Book: Amazon


Mockingjay, is the third long awaited novel in the bestselling trilogy, the Hunger Games. The book follows Katniss, the main character and her participation in the rebellion against the Capitol.

After reading the first two books in the trilogy, I was used to the author getting straight to the story. However, with Mockingjay, I felt the book took longer to get into and the action didn't really start until I was about a quarter into the book.Nevertheless, once I was fully engrossed in the book, I enjoyed it,

Furthermore, with the Katniss, Gale, Peeta love triangle they made a big deal of the whole 'who will she choose?' situation, in the first two books, however, I felt this wasn't really explored enough in Mockingjay. The scenario was built up quite a bit in the first two books, yet, there wasn't as much mention of it in this novel.

And with regards to the ending, I actually thought it was very rushed and vague. Again, there wasn't much detail for who she chose, or what happened to Gale. Also, I think that Collins killed off too many characters at the end. I actually thought it was unecessary, especially Prim. I mean, Katniss has been through enough, don't you think you should give her a break?!

Overall, I thought this book had high points and low points. It was a good book to a great series but I wasn't as blown away as The Hunger Games and The Hunger Games Catching Fire.

Plot: 4/5
Characters: 3/5
Ending: 3/5
Writing: 3/5
Cover: 4/5

Overall: 3.5/5

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Background by Ava7Patterns